After nearly a decade as a beloved judge on The Great British Bake Off, Prue Leith has announced her decision to step down from the iconic baking tent. The 86-year-old shared heartfelt reflections on her departure and expressed her full confidence in her successor, Nigella Lawson.
In a heartfelt announcement last month, Prue explained her reasons for leaving after nine years alongside co-judge Paul Hollywood. “Now feels like the right time to step back (I’m 86, for goodness’ sake!),” she said. “There’s so much I’d like to do — not least spend summers enjoying my garden.” She emphasized how lucky she felt to have been a part of such a cherished show and offered warm wishes to whoever would continue her journey.
Channel 4 soon confirmed Nigella Lawson would be joining Paul Hollywood as a new judge, a transition that Prue fully embraces. Speaking on BBC Radio 2’s Scott Mills Breakfast Show, Prue fondly recalled her time on the series. “Nine years is enough. I liked it, and I like the guys on it; I will miss it,” she admitted, calling the job “perfect” because all it entails is “eating cake.”
READ MORE: Sir Tom Jones to Headline Kingsholm Stadium’s Concert Revival This Summer
READ MORE: Winning EuroMillions Numbers and Thunderball Results for Friday, February 20, 2026
Prue revealed that the demanding filming schedule, which takes place every summer, influenced her decision. “I’m running out of time, I need more time to do stuff, especially having holidays in the summer,” she explained. She reflected on how she had to give up her usual winter trips to the Southern Hemisphere and realized she would never again enjoy holidays in places like Spain or the South of France. “So I just took the plunge,” she said. Prue also confessed she had wrestled with the decision for two years before finally committing to leave.
When asked about Nigella’s arrival, Prue had nothing but praise. “They’ve got Nigella, so they’re fine. She is so good, she’ll be wonderful,” she said. Even when reminded that fans might miss her, Prue playfully dismissed the notion. “No, you won’t, you’ll fall in love with Nigella instantly, she’s so clever.”
Nigella Lawson, 66, has openly admitted feeling “a teeny bit frightened” about stepping into such a high-profile role but described the opportunity as “an honour.” During a recent appearance on This Morning, she acknowledged the legacy of previous judges like Mary Berry and Prue Leith, noting that their excellence heightens the pressure she feels. Still, Nigella is eager to bring her own style to the judging process. “I am a person who isn’t looking for fault, I’m looking for pleasure,” she explained. “Paul is the technical — I’ll be all about the eating.”
As Prue Leith steps away from the bake-off tent, her legacy endures, and anticipation builds for Nigella Lawson’s fresh and flavorful take on the show.