Monday 17 August 2026 About  ·  Contact
LOCAL VOICES · SHARED STORIES Gloucestershire Daily
Waste Management

Court issues ban on illegal waste dumping at Gloucester’s Severnside Farm

One of Gloucestershire’s most notorious illegal waste sites, located at Severnside Farm on the outskirts of Gloucester, is now subject to a court order banning any further waste dumping.

The Environment Agency successfully obtained a prohibition notice from Gloucester magistrates to prevent any more waste being deposited at this site, which has been the focus of intensified enforcement efforts throughout 2026.

The illegal dump, situated between St Oswald’s retail park and the A40 on the city’s north-western edge, came to light at the start of the year. Last month, a coordinated operation involving the Environment Agency, Gloucester City Council, and the police was launched to disrupt ongoing unlawful activity there. As part of this action, 84 concrete blocks were installed at entry points to block vehicle access.

READ MORE: New Parents Urged to Register Births Within 42 Days to Avoid Penalties and Delays

READ MORE: Controversial Cotswolds plan for nearly 19,000 homes advances to consultation stage

A clean-up began on 22 July but was halted the following day after hazardous asbestos materials, dumped illegally over time, were discovered. Prior to the suspension, authorities seized heavy machinery and intercepted two vehicles carrying waste to the site, which had been operating without permission.

An initial 75 tonnes of waste were removed, though an estimated 250 tonnes remain on the land. The Environment Agency emphasised that preventing further expansion of the waste pile was a key goal of the operation.

James Dykes, enforcement and regulation service manager at Gloucester City Council, stated in July: “We remain absolutely committed to clearing this site and protecting local residents. Once the concerns about the asbestos have been resolved, we will do everything we can to tackle the remaining issues.”

The new court order, effective from 12 August and lasting six months, makes it a criminal offence to enter the site and dump waste.

Nick Green, Area Environment Manager at the Environment Agency, said: “The criminals involved in dumping this waste have caused misery for the community and the environment. This order shows we are doing everything to stop the reckless illegal handling and disposal of waste.”

He added that the site has been secured while criminal investigations are ongoing and highlighted this action as part of the agency’s broader 10 Point Plan targeting waste crime nationally, which includes the increased use of restriction notices to prevent illegal dumping.

The Environment Agency also praised the role of local communities in reporting suspicious activity, which enables swift enforcement responses.

Gloucester City Council reiterated its commitment to work with the police and the Environment Agency to eradicate illegal dumping at Severnside Farm and other sites.

“We are grateful to the Environment Agency for securing this Restriction Order and pursuing further legal action following the council-led operation last month,” Mr Dykes said. “Illegal waste activity causes significant harm to local communities. Gloucester City Council will not hesitate to take robust action against those responsible.”

Inspector James O’Neill from Gloucester Neighbourhood Policing stressed the police’s role in enforcing the order: “We will take robust action against anyone who engages in illegal fly-tipping as it blights our communities, presents health risks, and incurs substantial public cleaning costs.”