Organisers of the Castle Combe Circuit Christmas Market in the Cotswolds have issued an apology after a wave of complaints highlighted that the event failed to meet attendees’ expectations. What was promoted as a magical winter wonderland turned out to be a major letdown for many visitors.
Held on Sunday, November 23 at the Wiltshire race track, the market promised a full day of festive fun with market stalls, funfair rides, a drive-in cinema, and more from 9am to 4pm. However, many attendees took to social media to voice their frustrations, describing the event as underwhelming and not as advertised.
A local visitor, Andrew Clifton from Minety, shared his disappointment, saying that upon arrival, he and his family knew they wouldn’t stay long. “From start to finish, this was more Nightmare on Elm Street than Miracle on 34th Street,” he said. He criticised the lack of genuine Christmas atmosphere, comparing the market to outdated Sunday markets from the ’90s rather than a festive fair. He also found the stalls overpriced and the classic cars unimpressive. The promised petting zoo, he said, left the animals looking neglected.
READ MORE: Desperate Gloucestershire Pub Raises Prices Amid Rising Costs and Government Pressure
READ MORE: “It’ll be a different side to the one they beat last year" - Forest Green Rovers boss Robbie Savage ahead of Southend United
Other attendees echoed these sentiments, calling the experience “gutted” and “shocking.” Many noted the limited number of stalls, minimal festive activities, and a disappointing absence of popular Christmas market staples like mulled wine. Some expressed frustration at paying £9 for entry only to be let down by the lack of content and festive spirit.
In response to the backlash, Castle Combe Circuit posted a sincere apology on their Facebook page. They acknowledged the event did not meet many visitors’ expectations and promised to review the experience thoroughly to improve future events. They also confirmed that proceeds from the market will be donated to St Peter’s Hospice, with updates on funds raised to come next month.
Despite the disappointment, a few attendees had positive experiences, praising performers for engaging with the crowd and appreciating the rides and food available. Some expressed optimism that, with adjustments, future events could be more successful.
As Castle Combe Circuit takes on board this feedback, hopes remain for a festive market that lives up to its promise in the years to come.